Every Little Bit Helps
Every little bit helps or does everything need to be proven? That’s a fundamental question right now with this virus. Here is an excellent article that addresses this issue heads-on.
Our New Zealand NGO is founded on the principle that ‘every little bit helps’ because there will not always be ‘proven’ solutions, evidence-based practice research nor will ‘they’ always save us. We have a choice to follow official advice if we feel unwell to stay home, call the doctor and don’t go to the hospital unless you have difficulty breathing. That’s just totally unacceptable.
We should be encouraged to do ‘every little thing we can’. Does that mean some people will do stupid? Yes. Common Knowledge Trust is passing on common sense, unproven things that you can do as soon as you feel unwell.
Since all these things have been ‘proven’ to help prevent or reduce other issues from becoming problems, let’s include these in ‘every little bit helps. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486
1. Start gargling 3-5x/day with gargle of choice: warm/slightly salty water; dilute lemon juice, mouth wash, over-the-counter
2. Clean the inside of nose with slightly salted water either with Neti pot or snorting 2 drops/nostrils 3-5/day
3. Only warming foods and drink. Sip warm water every 20-1 hour if mouth is dry
4. Drink 3 liters of home-made oral rehydration: a little salty/a little sweet (whatever you want to use). Drink more if mouth is dry
5. Suck herbal lozenges when needed
6. Fresh ginger warm drinks
7. If cold use hot water bottle or glass bottle filled with hot water wrapped in towel
8. If you have zinc take that daily
9. Hot shower every evening
10. Any signs of oppression in chest with shortness of breath put a small amount of Vicks up your nose, block one nostril and breathe into that side of lung until you feel that strong odour has penetrated. Do the other side. My experience is that this virus does not like strong odours. I felt much better after doing that.
11. Of course add anything else you want on top of those things.